Wednesday, May 2, 2012

12TCCDF - Final Day of workshops (22-04-12)

Art Hotel Omori, main entrance
Final day of workshops, and also my day to teach.  Today's dances will cater to Intermediate level line dancers.....and I will be teaching Ibiza Swing....which is really easy, but labelled as Intermediate only because of the speed and phrasing.  Niels asked me what type of dance I'd be teaching and when I let him have a listen to the music, he said 'Novelty....definitely Novelty'.  Yuri, our translator, requested to listen to the music too and remarked.. "hmmm....(smiling)...my kind of music..."  So.....at least I know the music is catchy :)  Now to see if the dance is well-received.

Double petal sakura outside the hotel
As usual, we left for Ikegami Kaikan Hall right after breakfast in 2 taxis.  The driver of our cab wasn't too sure where the hall is located and had to rely on his GPS.  Even then, he deposited us on the wrong side of the hall.....basically within the temple grounds located beside the Ikegami Kaikan, which is still quite a distance away.  But to have the driver find his way out of that spot and back onto the right street would take too much time, so we alighted there and walked the rest of the way...past the burial grounds, down the stone stairs and another 100m along the road leading to the venue.

Pathway leading to the cemetery.  We walked from the far end of the path,
where the taxi deposited us, towards the entrance which is located
beyond the stone fixture on the right.

Path leading to the shrine
Path leading away from the shrine, down the stairs towards the main gate.
Main entrance to the shrine
Ikegami Kaikan Hall.
Top floor and facade are undergoing repair and renovation work.

The hall was completely filled with dancers....totalling at least 60 of them.  As the upper floor and hall were under repair, I guess Hiro had to settle for this smaller one.  I taught in the bigger hall upstairs in 2008, and it's huge, with a stage.


Music for dances taught during the first and second day of 12TCCDF were played during open dancing.  Many could still remember the steps.


The first teach of the morning was by Yoko Kizaki; the dance Fanilow Eyes.  Niels followed with  his waltz, Loving You.  Then it was open dancing again, with a quick review of the 2 newly taught dances thrown in.


Niels' teach


Dancing Fanilow Eyes


We took a break for lunch.  Instructors were taken upstairs to the sitting area to take their bento lunch packs.  The bento set was good.  There was rice, omelette, potato salad I think.., veggies, etc.  I love Japanese rice, so to me, lunch was excellent ;)  In fact, I think I had a little too much rice whilst in Japan :(  Have to watch my diet now...hehehe

Mine was the 3rd teach of the day, right after lunch and open dancing.  Had a bit of butterflies in my tummy but was fine the moment I donned the mic and started teaching. The past 10 years of teaching experience really helped....and it's become second nature to me.  Am glad. :)

The dancers were excellent learners.  I used a teensy weensy bit of Japanese to put the dancers and myself at ease.  Yuri translated the rest of my teach wonderfully, and I managed to teach and dance the choreography with them twice within the 40 minutes given by Hiro. Yay for me!! :DD  They clapped after the teach was completed and smiled broadly during & after each dance-through.....so.... I'm guessing they liked it? ;D

Keeping an eye on their footwork to make sure they got it right
Demonstrating how the turn in Section B is executed

Ready?!  Let's dance! 


Whew!  my teach is over...now to relax and enjoy the rest of the workshop. Next up was Yuki, to teach her own choreography Love Can Build A Bridge.  I love the dance and the music.  Absolutely enjoyed dancing it.  Niels had one more dance to teach and then it was open dancing till 6:30pm.  During that time, all the instructors had to do a quick review of the dances they taught during the day, and then lead the dance.

Open dancing time....and having fun!

Am happy to say I had an easy job doing the review as the dancers could remember the dance, even the sequence!  


Getting Niels' signature on my t-shirt, which is
his Niels' Babe tee I bought during his visit to JB in 2010.



There's our Msian flag! :)

Noriko (centre)

I met Noriko (in the pix above) on Saturday I think....and she told me she is a Beginner.  I asked her if she would be attending Sunday's workshop and she said 'no' since she's only a beginner.  Seeing that I had brought some fridge magnets from KL (in the form of a kebaya), I gave her one and she was totally taken by it.  I encouraged her to go for Sunday's workshop.....give it a try....she might actually be able to follow what's taught.  We said our goodbyes and I didn't give it a second thought.


Today, she came up to me and said 'because you gave me the souvenir, I plucked up enough courage to attend today's workshop even though I'm a beginner and it's for Intermediate level dancers.  Thank you'. 


I saw her standing at the back row in the early morning and as the day progressed, she slowly moved to the front row by the end of the workshop :)  I admire her initiative and spirit to learn.  She fumbled at some steps, yes, but managed to hold her own and was able to dance the dances taught.  Good for you Noriko!

Me, Yoko, Niels, Yuki & Hsiao Ling with Mr Cool Balloon :)
The unsung heroes....Marilyn and Noriko Suzuki (Hiro's wife) manning
the registration counter and making sure things run smoothly behind the scene.
Hiro....you might want to consider adding
a few more inches to the heels of your boots.....hihihihi ;)

'cheezer!' (with Mio)

Satomi presented this lovely country western blouse
to me.  It's entirely handmade.  So very sweet of her.
I absolutely adore it!


The event finally has to come to an end.  Some dancers took their leave, while others stayed to have their photos taken with Niels and friends.  Others chit-chatted and exchanged gifts. Noriko (the beginner) gave me a lovely postcard on which she had written a few words.  She also gave a cute glass seashell magnet which can be used as a stand to prop the postcard upright.




Yuki gave me Japanese biscuits and sweets to take home to my boys.  So thoughtful of you Yuki, thank you!  And Yoko gave me a very sweet pink nail filer.   I got a bling bling key chain from Mio, a very versatile neckerchief from Hsiao Ling, Godiva chocolates from Yuri whilst Noriko Suzuki gave more tidbits and a retractable lanyard decorated with Swarovski crystals. But most precious of all, everyone gave me beautifully warm memories to take home of my wonderful time there.  Thank you everyone.  Thank you Hiro! <3

After packing up our stuff, we walked to a Chinese restaurant for our dinner.  Two tables were prepared for us in a sectioned-off room.  I don't usually drink beer but I made an exception...to toast to a successful and well-organised event.

From extreme left: Megumi, Hiroko, Mami (in the foreground),
Sachiyo (waving), Yuki, Noriko Suzuki and Hiro.
From left: Yuko (back to us), Kieko Maeda, Miura-san, Yoko
uh-oh....can't remember the 2 ladies' names after Yoko...(getting old...sigh)
Noriko (with the ponytail)
Good times, good memories.  Great friendship!
Cheers! Skaal! Kanpai! Kanpei! Yam Seng!
to line dancing and to good friends.

Niels' showing off his name written in Kanji, Katagana & Hiragana.
Priceless! :)

Thank you!  Love you all!


Next: Post workshop...Free & Easy

No comments:

Blog Archive