Friday, August 29, 2008

My Latest Dance - AUTUMN TEARS

Just managed to record my latest choreography today. The demo is kinda rough around the edges as the both of us are a little too conscious of the camera. haha :-)

The choreography was actually completed about a month back but I had no time to put it on video until now. Even then, today's shoot is a rushed job. If and when time permits, I'll get a better video up, hopefully with more dancers.

The dance is done to Sally Yeh's popular classic 'Ku Sa' (哭砂) or it's cantonese version 'Autumn Comes & Autumn Goes' (秋來秋去). It's a lyrical piece and though the counts are there, it acts merely as a guide. When dancing, you have to listen closely to the song and dance following the rhythm and flow of the lyrics rather than the base beat (which is very regular and unchanging).

The dance is 48 counts and faces 2 walls. And I've categorised it as Intermediate/Advance because of the turns and slightly complicated counts (as I've said earlier, it's lyrical).

Just a note for the intro: The intro (which is sung entirely A Cappella by Sally Yeh) is 48 + 4 counts in length. Instead of complicating the dance by adding different steps for the Intro, we dance the choreography straight from the beginning. However, leave out the first 2 counts (1-2&) as it's difficult to catch, and start on the 3rd count. For this, I'd like to record my appreciation and thanks to my good friend, fellow linedancer and linedance instructor, MORINA, for her valuable input, feedback and suggestions. Oh, and she's also the camera woman for this video :-) Thanks Morina!

I'd also like to record my thanks to Diana (for doing the demo with me) and to my linedancer friends of Celebrity Fitness, 1Utama for your encouragement and unwavering support of my choreographies.

Back to the dance: There's a 4-count tag at the end of the first round which brings the dancer to the front wall once more. So both the 1st wall (intro) and 2nd wall begin facing 12 o'clock.

It's a Night Club 2-Step and I've always been partial to this rhythm since I first danced it back in 2004. Feedback from the dancers who've tried it are encouraging and I hope you'll enjoy it too :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mei Ling, Thanks for your kind words. It is a beautiful dance. I really like it. Wish I could do the lovely hand movements....but you know me, I'm shy. Both you and Diana danced it beautifully. Yeah, Diana is such a great sport...unlike me...But, if you ever need a camera woman, I'm all game. GREAT JOB, Mei Ling!

Warmest regards, Morina

Anonymous said...

I think the dance is really great. Morina may be shy about doing hand movements, but she has steady hands - no shake even tho she's chasing the dancers all over!

I'm looking forward to your next choreography. Love the ones you've done so far!

Di