Thursday, May 1, 2008

Japan Travel Log - Day 3 (Part Two)

During this festival, I met up again with many familiar faces...people whom I had gotten to know briefly when they were in Malaysia in 2004 for the APDC Line Dance Competition. I also made a lot of new friends. It's almost impossible not to make friends as they're all so very warm and friendly :-)

After lunch, we continued with more workshops. Two from Judy, and one each from Yuki, Michiko, Mr Miura and myself. We also reviewed the dances learnt earlier in the day and the day before. The speed at which the Japanese line dancers absorbed the new dances is wonderful. They're quick, they dance beautifully, they're attentive, respectful and most importantly, they dance in lines...everytime! Something seldom seen back home.

When all the dances for the day had been taught, we took a break and headed for the room set aside for us to relax and unwind. Meanwhile, in the hall, they were busy setting up the tables and bringing in the food for the party.



Relaxing in our room


Soon the party was underway. Hiro started it off by declaring a toast. I know it's a toast because everyone was holding up their cups of wine, beer or tea....but of course I couldn't understand what he was toasting too :-)

Digging in


The spread of food for the party looked delicious. I tried some but couldn't really eat much. Not because it wasn't good but again, by this time, my stomach was all in knots once more because I was the first up to do my performance.

I had prepared a medley of 3 songs, each one representing the 3 major races in Malaysia: Malay, Chinese and Indian. The medley was 5 minutes in length with pauses in between to allow for costume changes.


For the Malay dance, I put on a baju kebaya (the top belonged to my grandma and the sarong, I borrowed from Mum).


For the Indian dance, I wrapped myself in a sari cloth and put a 'bindi' on my forehead.


Lastly, for the Chinese piece I was in a chinese blouse and did a fan dance.


Next up was Yuki's performance. Hers was a dance-story which tells of a geeky-looking girl discovering herself, searching within and finally transforming into a confident, sexy young thing :-)


Finally, the 3rd performance was given by Judy accompanied by a group of Japanese line dancers, Ivee and myself. Ivee who has never performed before and has only 8 months of line dancing experience, makes her debut internationally :-) Good show, Ivee!


In the front row: Hana, Yuri, Mei Ling, Judy, Toshiko, Yoko & Miho

The dance: Judylicious choreographed by Judy herself.


For the record, I enjoyed doing this dance with Judy and the Japanese ladies tremendously. Fond, fond memories :-)

With the performances done, it was time for the party to get underway. Everyone got onto the dance floor and grr..ooved.

Grooving to BORN TO ROCK!


Having fun!





Lucky Draw Winners: Satomi

Ivee

Utako


3 Cheers! to our hardworking Dee Jays

The night ended around 10.30pm and by the time we got back to the hotel, freshened ourselves up and prepared for bed, it was well past midnight.

YA....WWN. Tomorrow's going to be another great day!





No comments: